Chicken Soup for the Soul, Married Couples: I Am Too a Writer

Months ago, I submitted an essay, “The Perfect Pair of Sunglasses,” for possible inclusion in an upcoming Chicken Soup for the Soul book. I wasn’t sure if I had what it took to get accepted as a writer since the majority of my professional career was spent as an editor (a very good editor!), but I gave it my best shot…and it was accepted…with one tiny word change! What a boost to my writer’s self-confidence!

Once I knew the book was finalized I shared my good news about being published with my family and friends, and I put a button on the right-hand side of my blog home page trumpeting the news letting everyone know that the book was available for pre-order through Amazon. I want to thank you (and you all know who you are) for your support. You encourage me. You listen to my story ideas and silly meanderings. You talk me up when I’m feeling not so confident. And I love you for your friendship and support.

I am still pinching myself that my essay is a small part of a best-selling series of books! Whee!! I keep turning to pages 112-114 in the book to look at my words. And my name. Yikes! I’ve been writing regularly for the past 18 or so months to positive reviews and comments, and my blog has become a source of information and amusement to many, but there’s something about seeing my name in an honest-to-god book that makes me believe I am a writer.

Hello, world! I’ve officially added the word “writer” to my description of myself!

My daughter Tory was at our local Barnes & Noble last evening looking for her latest read; she consumes books the way I used to eat potato chips, fast! Not too long after Tory reached Barnes & Noble I received a text message from her. The message?

“Omg!” with this photo attached:

Whee! My essay is in THAT BOOK!

proving that I can still Wow my daughter, if only on occasion!

This entry was posted in books, Family, Let's Talk Books, Montclair NJ, NJ Blogger, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Chicken Soup for the Soul, Married Couples: I Am Too a Writer

1. Joyce says:

Congratulations Darlene! That’s fantastic!

2. Julie Ott says:

Kudos to you, Writer!!

3. Barb Best says:

Congrats Darlene! I got the Chicken Soup book on my kindle and just read your story – loved it! Bravo.

4. Amy Newmark says:

Congratulations Barb! Thanks for being part of our book. Your story was chosen from thousands of entries!

Amy Newmark
    Publisher, Chicken Soup for the Soul

5. Amy Newmark says:

Oops. I meant congratulations Darlene! Barb just followed me on Twitter and I got my names confused!

Amy Newmark

6. Dear Darlene,
    Saw your “I am too a writer” post and the mention of the CS Married Life book. Like you, I’m from North Jersey—Wayne, to be specific, and also like you I have a little piece in the new book. And, I have to tell you, if you haven’t gone to that Barnes & Noble yet, it’s an awesome feeling to walk into the store and see the book right there—the book that happens to mention your name in it—three times! I’ve been very fortunate to have had some of my stories included in the series before and I can tell you too that the excitement you’re feeling today doesn’t go away. Congratulations on the story—hey, you are a writer!
    Best regards,
    Stephen Rusiniak

• Steve:
      Thanks for stopping by. I’m happy to know that the feeling won’t dissipate over time! It’s nice to know another Chicken Soup-er is residing in Northern NJ and you found me. Congrats on your numerous contributions!!
      Regards,
      Darlene

7. Lisa Tognola says:

Congrats, Darlene, on your well deserved achievement! That is truly wonderful!

8. Pingback: Weekend Funny 5 – June 8th | Barb Best

9. I am thrilled for you! I’ve been thinking a lot about those chicken books a lot lately. Must have been your mojo being sent my way. Congrats, friend!!

10. Dawn@LightenUp! says:

Darlene! That’s awesome. So happy for you!!

Comments are closed.