Home Manager

Walk with Me. . .for a Few Hours

Let the drama begin.

Woke up at 7 am to find out a commercial is being filmed at house across the street. Our road is parked solid with tech trucks, catering truck, workers’ cars.

Navigated carefully out of driveway, dodging traffic I can’t see until last minute to drive daughter Tory to school.

Received fax from auto repair shop: $540 bill to fix Tory’s beloved (I now call cursed) VW Bug Sunny again. We won’t be able to pick it up until Monday. Down one car for weekend.

Realized I can’t print important information about this weekend’s softball tournament schedule on my wireless printer. Scratched head and muttered to myself.

Reset modem and rebooted Mac four times in vain attempt to jump start printer, then realized wireless network is the problem.

Called husband Mike to trouble shoot. No avail.

Laundry keeps me company. Today it's mostly Max's.

Started 1 of 7 loads of laundry.

Realized I don’t even have our locked network as a choice anymore on the Airport thingy and can only get the unsecured Linksys.

Roused sleeping son Max to troubleshoot problem, remembering at last minute how grouchy he can be when wakened.

Washed another load of laundry.

Max called cable provider and had a fit of epic proportions at person on other end of line when Max realized from conversation that the modem is damaged beyond fixing – likely from yesterday’s power outage that occurred right before Tory needed to cook/host a birthday dinner party for 5 friends here at our home.

I took Tums.

Max made an appointment with cable provider for earliest available time slot — tomorrow – if said person shows up. Typically, it takes us calling Comcast, our cable provider, 2-3 times to set up an appointment before a live person actually shows up to say that he needs to come back tomorrow since he doesn’t have the part on his truck that we specifically told him he needed.

Our old truck should look this good.

Max received call from repair shop where our old Ford Explorer has been sitting with a flat tire since yesterday. Repairman said that the tire and rim aren’t holding air, won’t hold air and we need a new rim to make it hold air. Down two cars for weekend.

We called Mike at work to discuss. We called repair shop back. We called tire place in Clifton, NJ to see if it has rim. No luck.

Washed another load of laundry.

We called Uncle Phil to see if the two junkyards located in Central NJ are still in operation and if they have a rim. Max called first junkyard. Man said he has both styles of rims for 2001 Ford Explorer and they only cost $75 each.

Max called/arranged with friend Brendan to drive down, but first they had to go to repair shop to jack up Explorer, remove damaged rim/tire, and take it with them.

When is a printer not a printer? When your WiFi is down.

I tried again to print critical information for this weekend’s softball tournament. Remembered a cable exists somewhere in a drawer that might allow me to print. Found cable. Hooked it up. Remembered to plug into the USB port on my Mac too. Printed document. Page is streaky. I am out of black ink.

Oops. Had to pick up Tory at high school, rush to allergist’s office for monthly allergy shots (one week late; I forgot to put on calendar last week), then rushed her back to school before lunchtime was over. She called ahead and ordered Chinese food that she eats in the car and I put mine on floor of Pilot for now.

Went to Staples to buy printer ink. Took old cartridges and asked for help to make sure I got the correct ink. Person who works there wanted to know model of my printer. I muttered and proffered ink; she shook head and said I had to give her model number. I thought bad thoughts, chose what I thought was correct ink, paid and drove home, after finding and buying Jolly Ranchers for Tory to insert into pinata (due tomorrow morning) she made for sculpture class.

A refill. I just needed a refill. But didn't have any here at home.

Home. Changed ink. My good. Ran test page. Printed critical documents.

Washed another load of laundry.

Hopefully await call from high school guidance counselor. Tory’s schedule for next year is hoplessly incorrect and needs to be fixed in person. I can never explain on a single ‘schedule change paper’ what needs to be done.

Took 2 Advil.

Reached for my now-cold Chinese food.

Hot problems. Cold food.

And that, folks, was my morning.

This entry was posted in flat tire, Home Manager and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Home Manager

  1. pinkknotes says:

    I need a nap just reading that. Yikes! Hope everything is falling back into place : /

Comments are closed.