DIY Reupholstering an Ottoman: It’s Usually Something

The "before"

The “before”

One do-it-yourself (DIY) project I haven’t tackled since college (and that college chair was, well, pretty ugly by the time I was done) is reupholstering. I saw a sweet (but beat up) ottoman at Goodwill. I paid $5 for it and brought it home. And I stared at it every time I did the laundry. After a few weeks I started to take it apart, you know, to see what it was made of. And I remembered to take photos along the way in case I actually(!) forgot how it went back together.

During a quilt shop jaunt I found faux leather for a new cover I aspired to make. It sat rolled up in my sewing room while I refinished the ottoman’s legs. They came out nice.

the math of it all!

the math of it all!

Then I planned out my strategy to make the new cover. I measured. And remeasured. And measured again. You see, for a woman who loves to DIY I don’t have a brain that likes math. So I have to be careful I don’t screw something up because I didn’t add up fractions of inches properly.

The cover went together well. I only broke one machine needle and received one wound when the scissors fell off my ironing board onto the top of my foot. Point side down. An ice pack and bandaid later I resumed DIY.

I was so excited! All I had to do was screw the 4 brackets onto the bottom of the ottoman to reattach the legs. But like I said, something usually happens when I DIY. I think I did everything right: I numbered and marked each of the brackets and the corresponding screw holes on the bottom wood frame of the ottoman.

See?

See?

But.

But I can’t get the screws to insert properly. They won’t go in the whole way. They are uneven and the legs are crooked. So I guess I’ll wait for reinforcements to come home and see if a power tool can do the job me and my screwdriver can’t.

So close to being done.

So close to being done.

Fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Mike arrived home. I explained my issue with the screws. He stared at the crooked screws in the uneven brackets, picked up my screwdriver, unscrewed the first bracket, flipped it over and re-screwed it in. The leg fit perfectly.

Yeah, I had the brackets on upside down.

Looking good for my first effort at re-upholstering.

Looking good for my first effort at re-upholstering.

This entry was posted in Adventures of a Middle Age Mom, Goodwill Rescue Mission, Home Decor, Montclair NJ, NJ Blogger, Sewing, Thrifting, used furniture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to DIY Reupholstering an Ottoman: It’s Usually Something

  1. Lisa Tognola says:

    Good for you, Darlene! I’m working on refinishing my own legs. Then I’ll move on to my furniture!

Comments are closed.